• Students pick up textbooks from the book-room before school and at lunches beginning August 23

• Schedule pickup Aug 14-15

• First day of classes: Aug 17

• District names Southwest Foods Excellence as the district’s food services provider

• Teachers report back to work: Aug 10

• GHS Open House: Sept. 13

Five Famous Stars that were Once Told They were Talentless

Have a dream to be a star but have been told to give up on that dream? Even a number of famous entertainers have been rejected based on subjective opinion of others.

Elvis Presley– In his eighth grade music class, he earned a “C-” (below average) grade, and his teacher advised him that he “had no aptitude for singing.” Later his audition for a local quartet was unsuccessful. He couldn’t sing, he was told. Another audition, this time for a local band, brought an even harsher assessment of his talent. He was told not to give up his job as a truck driver, because he was “never going to make it as a singer.”

Brad Pitt– Pitt didn’t always command the respect he now enjoys as an actor. He auditioned for a part in The Accused, starring Jodie Foster, but he said his performance resulted in “three seconds of silence,” followed by the question, “Have you ever thought about acting classes?”

Burt Reynolds– In the 1960s, Reynolds and his friend, actor Clint Eastwood, were fired on the same day. Eastwood was terminated because of his looks, Reynolds said. “They told him his Adam’s apple stuck out too far, he talked too slow and he had to get that chipped tooth fixed.” When Reynolds asked why he was being fired, he was told, “You can’t act!” As the canned actors returned to Eastwood’s truck, Reynolds told him, “You’re in a hell of a lot of trouble. I’ll eventually learn to act. You’ll never get rid of that Adam’s apple!”

Arnold Schwazenegger– Most people in Hollywood told him his hope of transitioning from bodybuilding into acting was a pipe dream. He had three strikes against him: his accent, his “overly developed body,” and his unpronounceable name.

Keira Knightley-When Knightley tried out for a role in The Jacket, director John Maybury told her, even before she’d read from the script, “There’s been a lot of hype about you, but I don’t think you can act. You’re completely wrong for this part. I absolutely don’t want you.”

How did they overcome initial rejection and make it to the height of the entertainment industry? Perseverance and hard work in the face of rejection.

Presley studied gospel and blues music in record stores, continuing to perform until he was discovered by Sun Records producer Sam Phillips.

Pitt supported himself though a variety of jobs, including those of chauffeur, furniture mover, and man in a chicken suit for El Pollo Loco, while training under the direction of acting coach Roy London, Brad Pitt won his breakthrough role in Thelma and Louise.

Reynolds was drafted by the Baltimore Colts, but an accident on the field and another in a car ended his career in the National Football League almost as soon as it had begun. Turning to acting he was a staple in TV series until his breakout role in the movie Deliverance.

Knightley insisted on auditioning even though the director absolutely indicated he thought her wrong for the part. Her reading won Maybury over.

Schwarzenegger said he persisted in his pursuit of his dream and was elated when it worked out.

source: http://listverse.com/2017/07/19/10-famous-entertainers-who-were-told-they-had-no-talent/