• Students: Get parking permits at Annex office

Eagles top Patriots 41-33 to Win First Super Bowl

Luke Seaback and Mike Greene

The Philadelphia Eagles defeated the New England Patriots 41-33 on Sunday night to win Super Bowl VIII. It was the Eagles first Super Bowl victory, and their first title since winning the 1960 NFL Championship. The Patriots, led by head coach Bill Belichick and superstar Quaterback Tom Brady, fell just short of their 6th title in seventeen years.

Super Bowl VIII broke the record for most combined yards in Super Bowl or NFL postseason history. The first half was full of crazy plays and several mistakes from both teams, but New England was only down 3 with two minutes left. Philadelphia head coach Doug Pederson called the game fearlessly from start to finish, and he decided to go for it on Fourth and Goal from the 1 yard line. Pederson called a trick play that was executed perfectly by his team as Quaterback Nick Foles ended up catching the touchdown right before halftime to go up 22-12.

Both offenses were flawless in the second half as Foles and Brady kept carving up the opposing defenses. New England’s star Tight End Rob Gronkowski dominated the Eagle’s defense in the second half as he connected for two touchdowns with Brady. After Brady threw his third touchdown pass of the night to Gronkowski to take the lead 33-32 with nine minutes left, the Eagles responded like a champion. Foles orchestrated a 7 minute drive that featured several third down conversions, and Philadelphia took the lead with 2:21 left when Foles connected with tight end Zach Ertz for the touchdown.

As anticipated, the Super Bowl was in the 2018 MVP’s hands with Brady looking to complete another Super Bowl comeback victory. However, on the second play of the drive, trailing by 38-33, Brady was hit and fumbled. Philadelphia defensive lineman Derek Barnett recovered the fumble, and rookie kicker Jake Elliot hit a field goal with just over a minute left to take an eight point lead. New England had one last desperate chance to tie the game, but Brady’s hail mary fell incomplete as time expired.

Nick Foles was named Super Bowl MVP as he threw for 373 yards and three touchdowns. Brady matched him down for down as he threw for a Super Bowl record 505 yards of offense, but the Eagles came up clutch late to seal the win. Both teams are expected to remain a title threat next year, but speculation has risen concerning New England’s dynasty. Philadelphia will have to commit to a Quaterback with Carson Wentz coming back healthy next year.                                           Image result for eagles super bowl