• Students: Get parking permits at Annex office

Alabama-Georgia Square Off: Season Overview

Back to Article
Back to Article

Georgia running back Sony Michel (1) scores a touchdown in overtime against Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl NCAA college football game, Monday, Jan. 1, 2018, in Pasadena, Calif. Georgia won 54-48. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

AP

AP

AP

Luke Seaback, Brandon Torres

No. 4 Alabama(12-1) and No. 3 Georgia(13-1) are set to battle Monday night, January 8th, for the 2018 College Football Playoff National Championship. Both teams won their playoff semifinal games on New Years Day to advance to the National Championship game, and this game will feature both teams from the SEC. Alabama dominated No.1 Clemson, 24-6, to advance to their 6th national championship game since 2009, as Nick Saban will be looking to lead the Tide to a 5th national title during his tenure. Meanwhile, Georgia will be playing for their first national championship since 1983, and the Bulldogs haven’t taken home the trophy since 1980.

This is the second time in the last seven years that the National Championship will feature two SEC teams, although Alabama and Georgia have not faced off this year. Alabama rolled through the regular season until Auburn handed the Tide their first loss in the Iron Bowl. Georgia also lost to Auburn, but defeated the Tigers in the rematch to win the SEC Championship. Both teams possess elite defenses that ranked at the top of their conference with several future NFL draft picks on both teams.

In the playoff semifinal, Georgia defeated No.2 Oklahoma in 2OT, 54-48, to win a Rose Bowl classic. Georgia, led by their two senior running backs, Nick Chubb and Sony Michel, ran for a team total of 317 yards and 5 touchdowns to lead them to victory. However, Georgia’s defense will have to be much sharper vs Alabama if they want to win. Freshman QB Jake Fromm has led the Bulldogs all season with the ability to make big plays with his arm and control the offense. Georgia will rely on their superstar running backs in the National Championship to lead them to the title, but Fromm will have to make some plays against Alabama’s great defense in order for them to win.

Alabama dominated Clemson from start to finish in the Sugar Bowl to reach another National Championship game in the Saban era. The Tide’s defense returned to their usual form in the semifinal as they held Clemson’s high potent offense to a season low 6 points. Sophomore QB Jalen Hurts will command Bama’s offense along side star running back Bo Scarbrough.

The game will air at 7 p.m. Monday night at the new Mercedes Benz- Stadium in Atlanta. This National Championship will prove to be a physical test, and the team that holds their poise the most down the stretch will likely prevail.

Image result for alabama sugar bowl 2018