Reflections on Suicide Prevention Month from the GHS Counselors

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students at GHS write positive messages on sticky notes for Suicide Prevention Week.

GHS Yearbook Staff

GHS Yearbook Staff

GHS Yearbook Staff

Nolan Chapman, Editor-in-Chief

With September ending just two days ago, it is important that people take a moment to think of those who are suffering from mental health issues. As much as Suicide Prevention Month may be over, that doesn’t mean that people should stop being aware of the struggles of people that do suffer from issues like depression and anxiety. As much as bullying still exists, the counselors stated that “The biggest differences we have seen are the great supports in place that we now have for reporting anonymously as well as supports in place for both the bully and the bullied.” The counselors also reported that, “This generation has a much better understanding and awareness of mental health. However, media sometimes still glorifies and stigmatizes mental health.” The most important thing to take away from Suicide Prevention Month is the process you should take if you learn of a friend that is dealing with mental health. The counselors provided an easy way to do this, proclaiming, “Please do not assume that your friend is not serious when they share a mental health concern. It is not up to you to diagnose or make a determination if the threat to life is real. All friends need to do is get help from a trusted adult. It is always better to to tell an adult and risk the lost friendship rather than losing a friend forever.”