• Students: Get parking permits at Annex office

Dealing with Grief.

Grant McGinnity

Life is a roller coaster — it has a beginning, end, ups and downs, it goes backwards, forwards, and sometimes it will go upside down. Losing someone close is a hard challenge we all eventually have to go through. We enter this world knowing one day we will leave it and the same goes for everyone else. Yet even with that knowledge it sometimes seems impossible to go on without someone who provided so much to your life. To make one thing absolutely clear there is no way to recover a loss just to better except and cope with it. Let me make it clear a loved one can never be replaced and the acceptance of that truth is the first step of being able to continue your own life.

What would they want you to do? The person who unfortunately left your life most definitely means a lot to you. If they were still here they would never want you to quit the dreams you had and abandon your passions just because they are no longer around. They would want you to live your life to its absolute fullest and not waste your potential crying in bed — not making a difference in this big world full of problems to solve and people to help.

Live in their memory. Whether they were a selfless individual who always helped others before them self or a complete prankster goof. Don’t be afraid to assume a role they would always fill from time to time to honor the fact they will always be apart of your life. This doesn’t mean make some deep life change and copy their behaviors, but more of keeping their character and best traits alive through some of your own actions.

Do the things you both enjoyed doing. Though it may seem hard continuing to do the activities you and your loved one considered special even after their gone — it is a good way to never forget the impact they had on your life and remember the pleasant moments you gave each other. This could be as simple as watching your guys favorite sports team, or surfing on the California coast every spring.

Sometimes it’s okay to be angry and cry. Life isn’t fair and in most cases of traumatic loss the individual did absolutely nothing to warrant an end to their life. It’s completely okay to breakdown every now and then due to the ab-stance of someone who means so much. They are irreplaceable as previously mentioned and its okay to not be okay about that fact. You just don’t want it to consume you, swallowing up your own life and potential — even though it may seem sometimes like it left with your loved one.