A Better Tomorrow

Nolan Chapman, Editor-In-Chief

While there are certainly traditional methods of preparing students for the future, Georgetown Independent School district high schools mandate the teaching of cardiopulmonary resuscitation, or CPR, to anyone who is obtaining their diploma, and Georgetown High School is no exception. High school students learning CPR before graduation has helped to decrease the rate of death for people who suffer heart attacks outside of a hospital, as a graduate may be able to quickly help the afflicted instead of having to wait for an ambulance. Even though bystanders may think they know what they are doing when they attempt to save a person who is experiencing cardiac arrest, it is likely that only people trained in CPR are able to effectively decide the appropriate depth of chest compressions as well as not freeze up due to the stress of the situation.

“I learned how to do compressions and it was a lot easier than I expected. CPR is important because you will never know when it will come in handy,” Senior Dalton Kile echoed. Despite the CPR classes only taking a few hours to complete, the information learnt there will help to better prepare graduates for serious situations in real life. However, health officials have criticized the length of CPR classes in high school; believing that in order to truly prepare high school students need to go through even more training to effectively perform CPR.