• The Georgetown varsity football team has a home game vs. Hays on Thursday, September 7 @ 7p.

• First Georgetown Varsity Football game this Friday September first in Waco against the Brewer Bears.

• Students pick up textbooks from the book-room before school and at lunches beginning August 23

• District names Southwest Foods Excellence as the district’s food services provider

• Teachers report back to work: Aug 10

• GHS Open House: Sept. 13

What is “Fake News”?

Grant McGinnity

Recently a phenomenon known as ‘fake news’ has been spreading, especially in wake of the 2016 election. Fake news has been around for a long time, such as when the government in the 1940’s made up a news story so the public would support the coup in Guatemala, which led to the dictator Jorge Ubico. But more recently news organizations have been making up fake stories just for publicity. Due to wide access to the internet and easy access to social media, stories with juicy headlines that may be false can spread faster than a wildfire.

Most fake news stories that gain traction are usually disproven or not covered at all by the bigger news agencies such as MSNBC,CNN, or Fox. But a popular millennial website BuzzFeed published a leak which stated that Donald Trump, the US president elect, had ties with Russia that may have interfered with the election, and Russia supposedly had video of Trump engaging in inappropriate behavior. This was huge since BuzzFeed is a no small website, getting millions of views a day.

Fake news was especially common over the election cycle with Hillary Clinton even claiming that fake news and the hacking led to her defeat to Donald Trump. Evidentally, she’s not the only one who believes this, with Facebook and Twitter both trying to censor or hide fake news, such as when #Spiritcooking was trending #1 of Twitter they decided to bump it down so people wouldn’t see it on the homepage. Spirit cooking is supposedly a satanist ritual that performance artist Marina Abramovic performs. It usually involves bodily fluids and Abramovic is even seen writing that in the recipe on video, but Abramovic claims she doesn’t actually use them in her home cooking. She emailed Tony Podesta and invited him and his brother John, a Clinton aide, to come over for a spirit cooking dinner.

Other time news is just exaggerated, like when BreitBart News claimed there was a mob in Germany on New Years who tried to set fire to an old church. Though they were shooting the fireworks a bit too close, no intentional damage was done. Police were at the scene to make sure nothing did go wrong, but they weren’t dispersing crowds putting up barricades like they would if there really was a 1000 man riot.

Fake news has been around for a very long time, and has no end in sight. When reading a news article always make sure they provide quotes to back up claims and show little to no bias. Also search the topic on Google and see if another news site is covering the story. Usually if multiple news agencies are covering a story you can get more details and determine if it’s factual.