From Teaching to Leading

Nolan Chapman, Editor-In-Chief

“I think it’s similar to the most challenging part of being a teacher, which is seeing potential in students and trying to help them with that potential but they don’t see it themselves,” said Assistant Principal Kristi Wittman on what challenges her. Mrs. Wittman has worked as a teacher for fourteen years, previously being a teacher for Pre-AP Biology at Georgetown High School, before starting her new position as an assistant principal (AP) this school year. While it may have seemed like a drastic change, her role change is quite normal for employees in education. Ironically, Wittman went from teaching students to being taught herself, as she had to “learn a lot.”

“It’s something I had considered for a long time, and just felt like the timing was right. There was an opening here at GHS, and I thought it would be pretty cool to transition into this job in the campus that I had worked in. It just kinda seemed that the timing was right. I loved teaching at GHS and thought it would be good to play a different role,” Wittman explained her change in position and what motivated her to make that change. While her daily responsibilities as an assistant principal may be completely different than those she performed as a teacher, Wittman still enjoys the core portion of her job: “working with kids.” On the other hand, Wittman is working with students in a completely “different capacity,” but she still has the ability to “help students reach their goals.”

“I love teaching. I think the part I miss the most about teaching is just getting to work with the same students day in and day out. It’s fun to be able to help the students and have an ‘a-ha’ moment on something they’ve been working on,” Wittman explained.

“I have had some really inspiring principals that I’ve worked under. Seeing the impact that those principals were able to make on the school made me think if I could have the same kind of positive impact.”