Students and Teachers, Students and Teachers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Evan Chen, Professional Yeeter and Nolan Chapman, Editor in Chief

Prior to starting his position at Georgetown, he was both a middle school math teacher in Humble ISD, and an assistant principal at Kingwood Park High School. Now, he finds himself at Georgetown High School as the new leader of the Eagles. However, there is more to Mr. Johnson than just being your principal.

Q: What do you like to do outside of work?

A: “That’s a good question. I have three kids, so I spend a lot of my time, if I’m not working, driving them to basketball practice, swim practice, soccer practice, and then going to their games and meets that are associated with those things. So I spend a lot of time doing that. I like to barbecue so I have a big 1200 pound smoker that I can cook about five or six briskets at a time, so I like to cook barbecue and I like to fish.”

Q: What achievements are you most proud of?

A: “Well, part of the reason I wanted to come to Georgetown, was because of the vision and the mission of providing opportunities for students to really grow and serve. That was very appealing to me, those were the things in my career that I am most proud of. Honestly, most of them have to do more with service and helping kids not just learn, but become better people and better human beings as well. So one of the things that I’m most proud of is that I started a whole class called social action. So a really good friend of mine kind of developed a curriculum, and was doing it at another school, I just kind of fell in love with it. But basically it’s a whole class designed around the concept of changing the world and making the world a better place since, so I was able to get that class kind of off the ground. Number to established at a previous school of big day of service, where we had one day where we just kind of put academics aside, and all of our freshmen, we had an assembly in the morning with some guest speakers to kind of talk about the importance of giving back to your community, and then we put every 9th grader on a bus and we took them all over town to nursing homes. Some of them went to soup kitchens, and food banks, and they just went to all kinds of different places and performed acts of service all day. And then at the end of the day, we had another assembly with another guest speaker just to kind of wrap up. It really helped create. I think a good culture at the school is just the importance of again school. I don’t think it should just be about learning Math, Science, English, and Social Studies, but about, you know serving others and you know being a good citizen and being a good person as well. And then I guess the other thing I’m pretty passionate about is opening access to advanced academic courses as much as possible. I think every kid that wants to inescapable should have the opportunity to expose themselves to a more rigorous curriculum and coursework. And so when I first started it a previous school, I remember I started in January at the semester break, and that spring we gave 225 AP exams, and that is a really small number for a high school of 2000 kids, and the year that I left that school they gave 1063 AP exams, but our average passing rate in fives, it never really dropped a whole lot. We were able to maintain a respectable passing rate and multiply the number of kids taking those tests by 5. So I was pretty proud of that.”

Q: Why have you decided to do the job of a principal? What’s your motivation?

A: “Okay, why be a principal, so first off I’m gonna back up a little bit, I was in college and I worked at a summer camp. It was a camp where I was there with 3 other people, there were 4 of us. I spent the whole summer on an Indian reservation in Montana. I did this for a few summers and basically High School youth groups would come spend a week there doing like a mission trip. So I was just there kind of facilitate, lead, set up work sites, and so that was when I learned and figured out that was what I just really enjoyed. You know just being around young people, that was a very rewarding experience for me, and I learned in that job the difference one person can make in the life of another person and I love it.”

“So that’s what kind of hooked me on working with people and working with idiots and kind of a service-oriented situation right. So when I graduated college, I wasn’t a new kind of I love serving, and I love being around young person, and I really didn’t know what I wanted to do though as an actual job. And so I kind of bounced around a little bit, but then I kind of just fell into teaching. My Little League baseball coach hired me to teach Matthew as a principal at a middle school and he hired me to teach math at the middle school and I loved it, it was great. So I did that for four years and I became an assistant principal, and then I became an associate principal, and now here I am, a head principal, but I like the job. I like being a part of the community, I like being around kids, and I’m kind of I’m passionate about teaching and learning those kinds of things.”

Q: What excites you the most about this position?

A: “First is the ability to positively impact kids lives, because I truly believe that adults in schools can change, literally change the trajectory of the kid’s life. I think we make that big of a difference, or have the ability to make that big of a difference in kids’ lives. So that excites me, and the other thing I get really excited about is just trying to be the type of principle that helps teachers become better teachers. That’s what gets me excited about coming to work.”

Q: How is a typical day of work for you?

A: “So that’s another thing I love about this job, no two days are the same so you know, I might spend one day just bouncing in and out of meetings all day with parents, with District administrators, and teachers, and counselors, and things like that. I might spend another day, you know where my day is just kind of consumed by, you know, maybe some student issues safety issues, discipline issues, and things like that. And then I might have a day where you know, maybe I meet with some teachers to talk about curriculum and instruction or you know. So you never know, there’s lots of meetings in a school of 2,000 kids. You never know, you know, just about anything can happen on any given day. So what I kind of like that about this job is you know, no two days are the same person.”

Q: What improvements would you like to make to the school?

A: “So that’s why I like to make specific. Honestly, I’m still coming into the learning phase. So I’ve you know, it’s only the 14th or 15th day of school. So like 3 weeks, so I don’t know that means so far. I love being here, the kids are great, the teachers are great, the parents in the community are great, but I wouldn’t say necessarily that I feel like there’s anything that I can say needs to be improved or fixed because I think those are decisions that I need to make in, you know, I need to ask students to make this school better and I need to ask teachers and parents. How can we make this school better than it needs to be, that’s something we do together.”