The Sophomores of GHS Varsity Football

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Sophomores of GHS Varsity Football

Josh Cameron

Josh Cameron

Josh Cameron

Nolan Chapman, Editor-In-Chief

For a team sport, varsity football at Georgetown High School is usually composed of Juniors and Seniors. However, occasionally there are a few exceptional athletes that make varsity football their sophomore year. This year at Georgetown High School, there are three sophomores who made varsity: Tyler Hawkins, Darson Herman, and Trent McConnell.

“There are two things that make Tyler Hawkins fit for varsity: for one, he can physically do the job that he needs to do during games, and he is also mentally capable of keeping up with the pace of the game. Usually for sophomores the game is too fast; varsity games go a lot faster than freshman or JV games,” Coach Patterson, the coach for all outside linebackers explained.

Usually sophomores struggle to keep up with their upperclassmen teammates, however Tyler Hawkins is more than able to “keep up.” Tyler stands out from his fellow sophomores in many ways, including literally. Tyler stands at above six feet, but his height wouldn’t be useful if he didn’t know what he was doing in the game. Tyler has a brother who currently plays football in Idaho for Boise State, so he’s always had his brother to help him. However, Coach Patterson said the thing holding most sophomores back from varsity is that they aren’t “mature enough” to handle it. Even though Tyler is currently injured and cannot workout his upper body, Coach Patterson described him as someone who does “everything he can to get better no matter what may try to limit him. He still works out his lower body and doesn’t back down because he’s injured.”

“I feel like my older brother has helped me set the standard, and helped me by teaching me how to play at a high level,” Tyler explained when asked how his family has influenced his football career. However, Tyler doesn’t only have a brother who plays college football for Boise State University, he also has an older sister who still attends GHS who plays volleyball at the varsity level.

Now, it is possible to notice a common characteristic if you were to line up Tyler Hawkins, Darson Herman, and Trent McConnell: they are all very tall and well built. If you were to talk to them, you would learn that Darson Herman also has a brother who plays college football and an older sister who also plays varsity volleyball. The exception to this rule is Trent McConnell, who doesn’t have any older siblings. Family always has an influence on what we choose to do, and for the three sophomores who made varsity, it made them exceptionally good at the game for their age.

“This year I look to help contribute on varsity any way possible and push to win a district championship and make a run in the playoffs,” Trent McConnell declared with enthusiasm when asked how he planned to contribute to varsity this year. Trent plays the position of safety and has been playing football since he’s been a little kid with big dreams of glory in football. His dreams have become reality as he states that Friday Night Lights is completely different to any other time he has played football in terms of the amount of people that come out to support him.

“I would love to play college football and it is a dream of mine to do so. I would love to play at my dream school of Notre Dame, but if that does not happen anywhere else that is a D1 school would be a dream come true,” Darson explained when asked about his future in football. Darson plays Quarterback, which some people argue is the position that requires the most knowledge of the sport in order to play. Darson plans to use the “best of my abilities” in order to win as many games for Georgetown as possible.

As much as I have drawn parallels between the three sophomores who play varsity football, they are all very different from one another. For example, Trent McConnell also enjoys playing baseball, and Tyler plans to go into accounting if football doesn’t work out for him. As for Darson, he also enjoys playing basketball and running sprints in track. To someone who has never met the three sophomores on varsity football, it would be easy to say they seem the same, however there is far more than football that makes these students excellent young men with bright futures in whatever they pursue.

Darson explained the difference playing Varsity Football, “The jump from Freshman Football to Varsity is a huge difference by athletic standpoint, physically, and also bigger and stronger opponents, along with bigger and louder crowds.”