• Ruby Slipper Fashion Show all three lunches Feburary 14th in the cafeteria.

• Students: Get parking permits at Annex office

• District names Southwest Foods Excellence as the district’s food services provider

North vs. South: Extreme Weather

Camryn Whitman

In the past weeks, Texas and states all across across the south have faced an anomaly that many residents have no idea how to deal with. This anomaly is temperatures in the teens accompanied by ice and even snow. Even a millimeter of ice on the roads can result in an influx of crashes and accidents, since drivers are unaccustomed to driving in these conditions. Schools will be cancelled if any amount of ice may form due to these driving risks. People will be seen shivering and miserable in this 30 degree weather. However, in the North, 30 degree weather may be seen as a nice break from a recent cold front. Likewise, Texans are used to temperatures in the 90s while Northerners may see that as an extreme heat wave. What conditions are considered normal for the South may be extreme for the North, and vice versa.

For Example, the average total amount of snowfall from October to May in Houston, Texas, is 0.5″, compared to Milwaukee’s average of 46.9″. That 0.5 inches of snow in Houston will be enough to close all schools, along with city, county, and state offices. However, in Milwaukee, that amount of snow in a day will be considered a mild amount, certainly not enough top interrupt any daily activities. The average winter temperature in Austin is 51.9 degrees, markedly higher than than Boston’s of 22 degrees. In Texas, if the temperatures dropped even close to Boston’s AVERAGE, schools may be cancelled and everyday life would be put at a standstill.

However, Southerners aren’t the only ones to take extreme action in abnormal weather. The average summer temperature in Boston is 82 degrees, while the average summer temperature in San Antonio is 97 degrees. That is the temperature Boston reached in the peak of a heat wave in summer 2017. In this heatwave, a multitude of people were dying or being hospitalized with a heatstroke. In turn, an Austin heatwave soon after Boston’s brought temperatures up to 117 degrees. While temperatures in the 100s may be uncomfortable for even Southerners, they are accustomed to it an therefore act less extremely in these conditions.

So, who’s the wimp? According to Northerners, it is those from the South who shut down in temperatures less than freezing. However, to a Southerner, it is the Northerners who become extremely sick in temperature in the 90s. But there is one thing we can all agree on; temperatures in the single digits are WAY too cold, and temperatures in the triple digits are WAY too hot.