• Students: Get parking permits at Annex office

Inspiring the next generation

Camryn Whitman and Alyssa Proctor

Almost everyone in school has a favorite teacher that they turn to, for help, advice, and support in life. Someone who inspires them to become someone in this world, pushes them to be better and better each day. Do we ever wonder who inspired our teachers to be who they are?

Teachers do have people they are inspired by and remember. While asking teachers who they looked up to, teachers young and old remember what inspired them to follow in their role model’s footsteps. When interviewed, the child development and Lifetime Nutrition and Wellness Teacher Ms. Decker clearly remembers her family and consumer sciences teacher, Mrs. Tune. Ms. Decker described her as “helpful, positive, patient, and passionate.” Mrs. Tune inspired Ms. Decker to follow in her footsteps and major in family and consumer sciences in college, eventually leading to her become a teacher. 

Many teachers interviewed found inspiration in a special teacher they have had. For example, Mrs. Jackson, an AP Human Geography Teacher, spoke of her human geography professor, Dr. Emily Skop. “On the first day of class, Dr. Skop walked in and the first thing she said was how one of the students in the classroom will turn out to be a geography teacher, and it was me,” Mrs. Jackson said.

Other teachers mentioned how they try to emulate the teaching style of their favorite teacher. Coach Kellye Richardson, the Cross Country,Basketball Coach,and Health Teacher,  found her style in her typing teacher, Ms. Hight. Coach Richardson said much of the enjoyment she found in the class was due to the fact it kept her occupied and active. She says she “Tries to emulate her style of keeping kids busy, and her happy disposition.”

However, not all teachers found inspiration in their favorite teachers. Some found it in parents or by circumstance. JV Cheer Coach and Criminal Justice Teacher Mrs. Huey definitely had a favorite teacher, her Spanish teacher Coach Eli. However, this teacher did not influence her to become a teacher. She went to college for Criminal Justice and after working in Juvenile Probation for two years, she decided she wanted to continue to help kids. Like Mrs. Huey, Health Science teacher Mrs. Mallard did not plan to become a teacher, despite loving her Radiology Professor, Professor Watt. “At 37 I went back to school and started subbing for elementary school. Eventually I was asked to teach Health Science for high school. I didn’t think I was ready to teach yet, much less teenagers, but I took the job and I love it.” She said when asked why she became a teacher.

Students find inspiration in their teachers everyday, but they don’t think of where they found their role models. Teachers were once like us, trying to decide what they wanted to with their life. Through motivation by other teachers or past experiences, they have decided to inspire kids, just as their teachers had done for them. “She showed me how I can influence and motivate children in school,” said Mrs. Dudley about her Government teacher Ms. Dobbs.