• Friday 10/11 at 7:30 PM GHS Varsity Football vs Rouse

• Talent Show Auditions will be held from 4:00-5:00 PM on October 17 2017 in the GHS Choir room.

• PAP & AP students may fill out a waiver at the office to restore UIL eligibility

• PSAT October 11th for 10th/11th graders, October 18th for 9th graders

• Students: Get parking permits at Annex office

• First Georgetown Varsity Football game this Friday September first in Waco against the Brewer Bears.

• Students pick up textbooks from the book-room before school and at lunches beginning August 23

• District names Southwest Foods Excellence as the district’s food services provider

Charlottesville: America at its worst

On August 12th 2017, the American people have seen the devastating effects the political divide has had on our great country when a protest turned violent leaving one dead and many injured.

The Story, a group of “Far Right” activists decided to hold a rally called “Unite The Right” in protest to the re-naming of a park in Charloesville, Virginia traditionally called Lee park,and the removal of a statue honoring the civil war general. The instigators of this rally went to the court and actually got a permit for their rally. Though many Americans such as myself do not agree with many of these groups views;they are still Americans, and deserve their first amendment rights. “Far Left” activist and groups such as Antifa and Black Lives Matter planned a “counter-protest”, armed with clubs, bats, and other weapons,they went looking for a fight. After a small skirmish on August 11th(Friday night), the true carnage took place on the following Saturday. “The Far Right” groups such as Neo-Nazis and the Klu Klux Klan were charged by the “Far Left”. One member of a “Far Right” group found his car surrounded by protesters and decided to ram his car into these civilians in an act of terrorism. This attack left one dead(Heather Heyer) as well as 19 others injured.

Who is to blame? Both sides were filled with hateful people and at the end of the day the “Far Right” was the group that had a member murder someone(Far Left groups such of Black Lives Matter have committed murder nationwide as well such as last year in Dallas,Texas). Though the “Far Left” is also to blame for its immature decision to invade the protest looking for violence especially since they didn’t even get a permit to hold their        “counter-protest”. It was also a failure on the city of Charlottesville, for they did not set up enough security to keep the two unhinged groups apart. They had plenty of warning especially when you take into account all the other divided political protests we’ve seen nation wide earlier this year such as the ones in Berkeley California. Steps could have been taken to prevent violence but weren’t and because of this people got injured. Whats even worse is the fact that this is American vs American, I feel its more important now more than ever to keep those confederate statues up to remind us of that dark history and to make sure we remember to never repeat it.

At the end of the day politics is how you see the world,and though some peoples political views may be bigoted or improbable under our law your allowed to think what you want. If us, The American people, want to stop hatred the violence needs to stop. The only way to change someones mind is through clean debates and the presentation of facts. If you continue to be ignorant and refuse to listen to those who think differently;no matter how wrong you think they are,the discussions needed to end the divide will never happen.