• The Georgetown varsity football team has a home game vs. Hays on Thursday, September 7 @ 7p.

• First Georgetown Varsity Football game this Friday September first in Waco against the Brewer Bears.

• Students pick up textbooks from the book-room before school and at lunches beginning August 23

• District names Southwest Foods Excellence as the district’s food services provider

• Teachers report back to work: Aug 10

• GHS Open House: Sept. 13

Asylum Seekers- Immigration following the rise of ISIS to Western countries

Grant McGinnity

Ever since the 9/11 and the rise of radical Islamic terrorism in the Middle East, the world has been a very different place. President Bush (W), in retaliation to these attacks, sent troops on the ground to the countries of Iraq and Afghanistan. The U.S troops were able to take many crucial territories from the terrorists and took down the dictator Saddam Hussein. President Obama, who followed Bush, announced a date when all our deployed soldiers were to return home. This sudden departure from the war zone created a void for chaos. All the land soldiers fought and died for was instantly taken back by new terrorists, angry that we invaded their land. This led to some blaming Bush for starting the war and others blame Obama for pulling us out so suddenly.

One country that was in a state of turmoil is Syria, with a population of about 23 million. When total civil war broke out due to soldiers defecting, the country became a complete war zone. Not only are there two factions in the government of Syria and the rebels against them, there are also terrorist groups such as ISIS or just IS-(Islamic State) who conduct attacks on both. The millions of civilians who don’t went to be stuck in hell on earth are constantly seeking asylum. This doesn’t sound like a bad thing, but when millions of people are all flooding out of a country at once a pouring into others it creates problems. First off, you may wonder why they don’t go to more stable Muslim countries such as Saudi Arabia, but they refuse to take in refugees, and many other nearby Muslim countries such as Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan are infested with many of the same problems as Syria, with their own people fleeing to foreign countries.

So, they poured into the countries of Europe with many such as Sweden, Denmark, France, and Germany letting them in with open arms. Since the law of the European Union allow people to move freely through the borders of it’s countries, refugees have quickly spread everywhere within the continent leading to many problems. Many Syrians follow the teachings of Islam, and follow rules called Sharia or Islamic Law. Sharia has loads of punishments that are considered barbaric, inhumane and illegal by modern laws, such as cutting someones hand off for stealing, less rights for non-Muslims, the killing of Muslims who leave the faith, and death penalty for homosexuals. Since Sharia cannot be legal in Europe due to many contradictions with the actual law, some took the protests to the streets chanting death to non believers.

(Protest in Paris France)

I’m not saying we shouldn’t help the Syrians, actually quite the opposite. I’m fully behind Donald Trump’s decision to bomb Assad’s army, for many people of Syria don’t want to leave home if they don’t have too. I think if the U.S and its allies can overthrow Assad and place a new democratic leader in power, the country will be in a better state, and its millions of citizens who have been there for generations can live in peace. Most Syrians prefer a very different lifestyle to those we offer in the west, so it would in our and their best interest to help give them back the land they love, it’s not their fault they live under a ruthless dictator in Assad. There is still a lot of work to be done in the Middle East before we can truly deem it a safe place for people to live, but overthrowing Assad, stopping terror groups, and NOT taking in a refugee population that has radical members is a good start in stopping the spread and influence of terror.