• The Georgetown varsity football team has a home game vs. Hays on Thursday, September 7 @ 7p.

• First Georgetown Varsity Football game this Friday September first in Waco against the Brewer Bears.

• Students pick up textbooks from the book-room before school and at lunches beginning August 23

• District names Southwest Foods Excellence as the district’s food services provider

• Teachers report back to work: Aug 10

• GHS Open House: Sept. 13

‘This Generation’

Caitlin LaCour

New technology breeds new behaviors.

How many times have you heard adults complaining about teens using their cell phones? Making comments such as ‘kids these days don’t know how to communicate’ and ‘kids these days can’t go a minute without checking their phones’.

Smart phones have been integrated into modern society over the last few years. Everywhere you look, faces are lit by the glow of screens as their users hunch over them, thumbs typing a mile a minute as they compose a text or email, making silly faces as they apply filters to selfies for SnapChat. As they walk down the streets, their phones gripped in their hands inches from their faces, eyes glued to the screens, it’s not that difficult to see why some people mock the ‘Zombie Generation’.

‘Zombie Generation’ implies we are mindlessly wandering around, our attention focused on only the piece of glass and silicon anchored to our daily lives. I can’t tell you how many times older people have sneered at teens on their phones, making snide comments about ‘this generation’ as they turn their noses up to modern technology. From their Ivory Towers, they can’t see or refuse to acknowledge just how much smart phones have changed our lives for the better.

iPhones are tools. They can be used as planners, easily scheduling your day, adding reminders and alarms for important events. They can connect you to family and friends you don’t get to see everyday and those that you do. They hold pictures and videos, making it easier than ever to simply whip out your phone and capture a memory. There are apps that help you day-to-day, apps that can track your heartbeat and log what you eat, apps that help you live a healthier lifestyle, apps that keep you connected to the world, apps that give you the latest breaking news, apps that can provide easy entertainment, apps that tell you the weather and traffic and areas to avoid.

‘This generation has become dependent on technology’. It’s called evolving. We, as a society, have evolved from the bulky expensive computers with dial-up internet to sleek personal computers that can fit in your pocket and bring up anything at the blink of an eye. Even if some people do, it is not wrong to depend on technology, especially a technological advancement as useful as this. Technology is a tool, a smart phone is a tool. Would you berate somebody for reading a book? How about if that book was on a device such as a Kindle, Nook, or smart phone? The second is more likely to be true. Electronic books are the future, in the same way people becoming ‘dependent’ on smart phones is the future. Evolution.

When people at national monuments have their iPhones out and are snapping pictures, or are attending concerts or speeches and are filming the event, it’s not a good idea to ridicule these people for wanting to have memories of something forever. And there is nothing wrong with taking silly selfies- it’s called having fun, and people like to do it.

Why is it the older generations who constantly belittle this generation, the Millennials?

The older generations want to grasp onto their failing youth, longing for the carefree days of childhood and teen years. What they don’t see, however, is just how not carefree being a teen today is.

College tuition is so high it’s become a joke. Getting a good job out of college is practically impossible, considering many fields are dominated by the older generations too stubborn to quit and pass the job to a more capable student. So students out of college are stuck working low-end jobs while they struggle to pay their insane student loans.

‘We had to do that, too,’ the older generations say. ‘We had to work summer jobs to pay or loans’. Not anywhere near this level, though.

College tuition from 1963 until the early 1980s, a student could reasonably work during their summer break (around 13-14 weeks for most university students) to afford school. Since then, the number of full time work weeks per year of tuition figure has shot up. We’re now at a point where a student would have to work a full-time minimum wage job for almost the entire calendar year to afford the average, $14,000 per year tuition– which means it’s nearly impossible for any college student to attend a 4-year school without taking out student loans.

By: Jarrett Moreno, attn.com

Every generation thinks the generation that comes after is not as good as them. It’s how it’s always worked. No generation is the ‘superior’ generation. Each evolves on it’s own, and you cannot stop evolution in the same way you cannot stop technological advancement.