• The Georgetown varsity football team has a home game vs. Hays on Thursday, September 7 @ 7p.

• First Georgetown Varsity Football game this Friday September first in Waco against the Brewer Bears.

• Students pick up textbooks from the book-room before school and at lunches beginning August 23

• District names Southwest Foods Excellence as the district’s food services provider

• Teachers report back to work: Aug 10

• GHS Open House: Sept. 13

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Channeling his childhood defiance into determination, Louie became an Olympian track-star. On the verge of his second Olympics, after setting a record number of new records, Louie’s Olympic dream ended when he was drafted into military service.

Akhila Reddy

Laura Hillenbrand

****

Unbroken is the riveting, true story of Olympic-winning World War Two veteran Louis Zamperini. Louis Zamperini’s harrowing tale of drifting afloat in the ocean before being taken to a Japanese prisoner-of-war camp provides great story material, which author Laura Hillenbrand translates perfectly.

The book beings by describing Louie’s mischievous childhood antics. Channeling his childhood defiance into determination, Louie became an Olympian track-star. On the verge of his second Olympics, after setting a record number of new records, Louie’s Olympic dream ended when he was drafted into military service. After crash landing on a search & rescue mission, Louie along with two other men floated on raft, drifting into enemy territory, surrounded by sharks, and without barely sufficient amounts of food and water. Hillenbrand perfectly conveys the desperation, solitude, and even boredom of his journey across the ocean.

Unfortunately, his story did not end happily there. Rescued by the Japanese, notorious for their cruelty towards POW’s (Prisoner of War), Louie spent the next year shuffling through numerous camps until the war ended, suffering unbelievable atrocities defiantly before the war’s ending.

The story of Louie is truly amazing due to his innate defiance, a central theme in the novel. Louie never submitted to anything, not the Ocean, not the Japanese, not to his chief tyrant in the camp, known as ‘The Bird’. Hillenbrand’s prose and style stay relatively simple, allowing the story to speak for itself. She pays meticulous attention to detail, giving information about little things such as exactly the POW’s set up a network of theft, their names for their Cruel Japanese guards, subtly creating a world that feels much more real to the reader. She also doesn’t shy away from her portrayal of what the soldiers go through, unflinchingly describing the things the POW’s suffered. Though the book takes time to pick up in the rocky beginning, any wrinkles smoothen out once Hillenbrand fully launches into Louie’s tale.

Currently, Louie Zampeirini is dead, having lived a long life. Fortunately, author Laura Hillenbrand caught him in the nick of time, conducting extensive interviews to write this book. As each year passes another WW2 story falls away, but Hillenbrand managed to perfectly capture the most striking story of all.

Book information:

Laura Hillenbrand

Available at:

http://www.amazon.com/Unbroken-World-Survival-Resilience-Redemption/dp/0812974492