• Ruby Slipper Fashion Show all three lunches Feburary 14th in the cafeteria.

• Students: Get parking permits at Annex office

• District names Southwest Foods Excellence as the district’s food services provider

Ready Player One- A Movie review

Travis Prine, Contributor

Ready Player One is a 2018 American science fiction adventure film written by Zak Penn and Ernest Cline and was Produced and Directed by Steven Spielberg.

The Plot: In the year 2045, the real world is a harsh place. The only time Wade Watts truly feels alive is when he escapes to the OASIS, an immersive virtual universe where most of humanity spends their days. In the OASIS, you can go anywhere, do anything, be anyone-the only limits are your own imagination. The OASIS was created by the brilliant and eccentric James Halliday and Ogen Morrow, who left the company a while back, while Halliday who has died has left his immense fortune and total control of the Oasis to the winner of a three-part contest which he designed to find a worthy heir. When Wade conquers the first challenge of the reality-bending treasure hunt, he and his friends-aka the High Five-are hurled into a fantastical universe of discovery and danger from Innovative Online Industries to save the OASIS.

Characters:

Tye Sheridan as Wade Watts / Parzival, a Gunter and one of the “High Five”, who wishes to win the Quest so he can leave the stacks. Determined but a bit selfish Wade soon learns the stakes of this grand contest.

Olivia Cooke as  Samantha Cook / Art3mis, a famous Gunter and one of the “High Five”, who works with various allies to ensure the OASIS is kept free and out of the hands of IOI. Driven by vengeance, justice, and love — winning this contest is her only goal even if it costs her everything.

Lena Waithe as Aech, a Gunter and one of the “High Five”, who is a long time friend of Wade and also runs a garage which he helps fix and create certain objects and vehicles from pop culture.

Ben Mendelson as Nolan Sorrento: the CEO of Innovative Online Industries, who attempts to seek full control over the OASIS for financial gain.

Mark Rylance as James Halliday/Anorak: the deceased co-creator of the Oasis who includes an Easter egg within the oasis itself granting who finds it full control of all of it.

Simon Pegg as Ogden Morrow/The Curator, a co-creator of the OASIS, who eventually left the company due to personal reasons. He harbors a concern about how much people have grown to have an unhealthy dependency on the game.

Tj Miller as I-Rok: a free-lance Bounty Hunter who is hired by Sorrento to take out both Parzival and Art3mis. He also has a lot of neck pain.

Quality: with its excellent use of CGI and Easter Eggs, Ready Player One hits all notes on making it a comeback to the genre that Spielberg helped create. The only downside is some of the characters may feel flat sometimes and the plot of the film is significantly different from the book, so expect that when you see the film. When the scenes in the oasis are present, the CGI used in some of the sequences is breathtaking especially in the middle half of the film. Excellent CGI, a decent script, and some of the best action sequences I’ve seen so far in a film.

Conclusion: If you are a fan of Steven Spielberg and his library of films, or if your a fan of the book, check out Ready Player One.

Rating 8.9/10