• Students: Get parking permits at Annex office

Black Panther-Movie Review

Directed by Ryan Coogler, Black Panther is the 18th movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and a direct sequel to 2016’s Captain America: Civil War.

Plot: After the death of his father, T’Challa, the Black Panther, is ready to be crowned the new king of Wakanda. Early into his kingship, an old Wakandan enemy Ulysses Klaue  is found on their radar. Eager to take him down, T’Challa instantly goes to challenge him, but in doing so learns there is more to Klaue’s crimes, unearthing dark stains in Wakanda’s recent history.

Characters:  T’Challa: Being both the ultimate guardian and ruler of a nation is a very hard thing to do and T’Challa’s self discovery and formation of his own self identity are some of the most interesting concepts in the movie. He has a very confident swagger and kingly presence like he should while being very heroic as well as vulnerable, which is saying something for a man wearing a impenetrable Panther suit.

Eric Killmonger: A mysterious figure and ultimate challenge to T’Challa being the complete polar opposite of him by representing all the “sins” of Wakanda’s ancient to modern.

Overall quality: Black Panther has great world building that brings the creative world of Wakanda alive without devolving into exposition monologues, which is very impressive. The acting is top notch by the entire cast, but some actors have VERY thick accents especially in the first half making the movie a bit dry, not to mention the plot seems very fragmented and directionless in that point. By the second half of the film, Black Panther connects its story and begins to tell a very deep and personal tail that is very invigorating and intense. For a big budget action film some of the effects look very fake and look like plastic. Also, being one of the directors first films a lot of the bigger scale action scenes feel a bit shaky and unfocused, but this director also did a boxing film(Creed) so all the one on one fights in the film are astounding.

Conclusion: Black Panther does a lot of things right and nails its title character. It starts off a bit dry and fragmented think Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, but also like that film has a great pay-off and conclusion. The writing is good and does more showing than telling minus one really cringe inducing joke. Overall the film lives up to the hype and though not one of my personal favorite Marvel movies was well done and a good time for sure.

Rating 7.5/10