• Friday 10/11 at 7:30 PM GHS Varsity Football vs Rouse

• Talent Show Auditions will be held from 4:00-5:00 PM on October 17 2017 in the GHS Choir room.

• Students: Get parking permits at Annex office

• First Georgetown Varsity Football game this Friday September first in Waco against the Brewer Bears.

• Students pick up textbooks from the book-room before school and at lunches beginning August 23

• District names Southwest Foods Excellence as the district’s food services provider

Thor Ragnarok Review

Grant McGinnity, Editor

Thor Ragnarok is the 17th movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and picks up after the events of Avengers Age of Ultron. It is directed by Taika Waititi, and the films stars Cate Blanchett as Hela, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Tom Hiddleston as Loki, and Mark Ruffalo as Hulk.

Plot: After seeing an apocalyptic vision in Avenger Age of Ultron, Thor goes on a quest leading him to discover the prophecy of Ragnarok the end of Asgard,due to a monster known as Surtur. After defeating Surtur, Thor returns to Asgard which is in disarray with Loki pretending to be Odin, leading to the rise of a new threat Hela, goddess of death. Not Thor is sent on a cosmic adventure to defeat Hela and save Asgard from certain doom.

Characters:  Thor: Thor is still very heroic and has good morals,but they decide to make the character far more comedic and play him up for comedy — surprise it works. Thor is far more charismatic, but is still the all powerful god of thunder we know and love.  Also his chemistry with Tom Hiddleston’s Loki is still there and great as ever.

Hulk: Hulk for the first time, has the ability to speak in this movie though his vocabulary is no better than a five year old. He isn’t a very deep character with much motivation, and he mostly plays off of Thor for comedy(Which works well).

Hela: Hela is a very powerful and menacing villain who easily overpowers the heroes. Her evil plan makes since given the character’s story though it is nothing to deep or complex. Cate Blanchett’s performance was astonishing with a perfect line delivery that I have to call out. Definitely a humongous leap up from Thor: The Dark World’s villain Malekith.

Loki: Loki is the god of mischief and still lives up to his name in this film, even though he reluctantly has to help the heroes for a majority of the film while still under cutting them. His great on screen chemistry with Thor,and his reunion with the Hulk are definitely highlights for the Loki character in the film.

Quality: The effects in this movie were astonishing, beautiful creatures, spaceships, and alien planets. Asgard looked better than ever,and I enjoyed the different look for the Hulk. The action scenes were massive in scale, full of color, and flat out epic to watch! The worlds this movie brought to life were full of detail and interesting design that prevented you from ever getting bored. The actors bring their all, providing great banter and dialogue that well have a grin on your face throughout the run time. This movie was like the  Energizer Bunny it keeps going strong with no stop. The only thing that might turn off some viewers is the fact that the movie plays up pretty much everything for laughs,so those expecting a more serious apocalyptic Thor movie will be let down. I went in for a fun comedy with some thrilling action and was not let down.

Conclusion: Thor Ragnarok is a really fun time, the characters are really enjoyable, the action is original and big in scope, and the effects are magnificent. This film jump started the Thor franchise that was seemingly loosing steam,and is a very enjoyable Marvel film,setting up major threats for the future films. If you liked previous Thor films or Guardians of the Galaxy,I bet you would love this!

8/10