• The Georgetown varsity football team has a home game vs. Hays on Thursday, September 7 @ 7p.

• First Georgetown Varsity Football game this Friday September first in Waco against the Brewer Bears.

• Students pick up textbooks from the book-room before school and at lunches beginning August 23

• District names Southwest Foods Excellence as the district’s food services provider

• Teachers report back to work: Aug 10

• GHS Open House: Sept. 13

Marvel’s Iron Fist Review

Grant McGinnity

The fourth and final Marvel Netflix TV show before this summers crossover series, Defenders, shares continuity with the Marvel studios films such as the Avengers.

Plot Synopsis: Danny Rand, aka Iron Fist, comes home 15 years after a near fatal plane crash that stranded him in the mountains in China. There he learns martial arts and becomes the Iron Fist, but when he sees a rare opportunity to leave the monastery where he trained, he goes to New York City to reclaim his billionaire fathers’ company. There he learns his company is filled with corruption by an ancient evil organization, and Danny makes it his goal to remove them.

Characters:

Danny Rand: Danny Rand’s real name should be Danny Bland, because he is by far the lamest lead Marvel character. He has very few scenes with real emotion, and some of his motivations are not clearly explained. He just talks about the same three topics: the plane crash, random martial arts stuff, and that he is the Iron Fist. The funny thing is even though he talks about all this martial arts stuff he barely knows how to use his power!

Colleen Wing: Colleen is Danny’s love interest and is by far the most interesting character in the show. You learn about her backstory and she moves the plot in interesting directions. She has good chemistry with the other characters in the show such as Danny. She is also more relatable because she doesn’t mumble on about random kung fu stuff that has no weight to the plot most of the time.

Overall quality:

Iron Fist is filmed in a similar style to the other Netflix series, being darker and more adult theme. Sadly lots of the show takes place in extremely bland locations, such as business board rooms. DareDevil, a previous Marvel show, had lots of court scenes but made them interesting and involve all the key players of the plot. Iron Fists’s business scenes are just a bunch of old bored people sitting down and talking about crap that is uninteresting and 90% of the time has no impact on the story. Lastly, in a show about a guy that can do magical kung-fu, you would expect amazing action sequence. Sadly, minus a few of Colleen’s fight scenes and a few of Danny’s, the action is something out of Power Rangers, with the characters doing over the top hand movements that look really goofy, and they are shot in a very bland way also when punches do hit they have no weight or realism like the other Netflix Marvel shows fights.

Conclusion:

Iron Fist, despite falling short from all my expectations, has a few interesting fight scenes, and a plot that I did enjoy for the most part, though it took a while to get going. Colleen Wing is a great character and brings life into the show that is much needed. If you have seen the other 3 Netflix Marvel shows I recommend you watch this because it has a lot of connective tissue and build up for the crossover show this summer. I feel that Iron Fists’s first season, though weak, still has enjoyable moments and would benefit from a new director and better writing for its second season if it gets one.        If you have not scene the other Marvel Netflix shows, I suggest starting with DareDevil, and if you don’t like it don’t try the others.

Rating  6/10