• The Georgetown varsity football team has a home game vs. Hays on Thursday, September 7 @ 7p.

• First Georgetown Varsity Football game this Friday September first in Waco against the Brewer Bears.

• Students pick up textbooks from the book-room before school and at lunches beginning August 23

• District names Southwest Foods Excellence as the district’s food services provider

• Teachers report back to work: Aug 10

• GHS Open House: Sept. 13

What’s wrong with modern day “kids show”

Grant McGinnity

Ever since the late 2000’s, cartoons (or really children’s programming in general) have gotten really trashy. It’s to the point where you question if the writers are even really trying. I haven’t watched Nick, Disney, or Cartoon Network in years because of this. I feel this is important because when you’re in your youth, what you see does determine how you think and act. If you see a bunch of ADHD flashy, high pitched crap your probably going to spazzy and have a short attention span.

When I was younger we had a bunch of shows that had well thought out developed characters, humor that was funny and not all about things in the bathroom, and they were well made. There was one shiny exception to all of this, and that was SpongeBob Squarepants. Spongebob was a show with a low budget, but due to its witty dialogue became a hit with people of all ages. The problem is Spongebob, as time went on, drifted away from clever stories (partly due to the original team leaving) and became a new, fast paced, random show only using toilet humor. Though these changes were made, Spongebob was an icon and these newer episodes still had massive ratings and the merchandise still sold.

Other networks took this formula of making a cheap show with weird characters, and with that they also took the terrible writing. This was about 2007, and many of the shows I loved at the time like Teen Titans, Justice League, Danny Phantom, and Avatar: The Last Airbender were all cancelled, because they were expensive to make and the networks were eager to take these shows bigger budgets and fund 3 terrible cheap shows with it. This led to the death of animation: shows like My Gym Partners a Monkey, Total Drama Island, Fanboy and Chum Chum, and Fish Hooks. These shows used slap stick, potty humor, and gross out imagery as well as fast paced flashy colors to try to get kids to watch them. Though none of them became hits (and for good reason) their cheap budgets made them very profitable.

To this day, cartoons are still terrible- Pickle and Peanut, Breadwinners?! What is this. Many Cartoons have had ADHD re-imaginings, for example Teen Titans, a comical show that also dealt with the drama of five teenage superheroes, got a “reboot” in 2013. In Teen Titans Go, the show looks terrible, with an overly colorful kiddie look to everything. The characters are all stupid and don’t even fight crime anymore; the whole show is just them making fun off each other or getting into some poorly written situation that makes no sense. Another example is Justice League Action, a newer show following Batman, Superman, and other DC heroes. The show is purely action though, which is a problem. It has no clever writing or well developed characters, and the animation is lousy due to lack of detail. The original Justice League was 40 minutes to develop the story the characters would go on. You didn’t just learn about the Leagues’ reasoning for doing what they do, the show developed the villains as well. The new show is just 10 minutes an episode. This is due to the fact that whoever is making this show believes kids are too skiddish to sit down and watch a well thought out story. This is a lie from the pit, because when I was a kid when it was 8:00 pm and Justice League was on, I was on my butt and quiet for the next hour because I was ready for a great adventure.

TV is a really enjoyable break from reality for people of all ages. When you’re a child, you’re still learning and the behavior and attitudes you see on TV does influence and mold you into the person that you are regardless of what you think. I’m not saying playing Call of Duty is going to turn you into a killer, but that if you see people on T.V using fowl language and not respecting adults as a little kid, it may influence your personality. TV writers feel that kids are too stupid to understand plot, characters, and drama, and this is true if you don’t ever challenge them. I’m also not saying kid shows shouldn’t be funny, but the humor shouldn’t just be slapstick or poop jokes over and over, though in certain scenarios it can be funny. Loads of people want jobs in the entertainment industry, and I find it insulting that the crap that makes it on the air has zero effort in it, and how the directors of these shows just write of kids as too dumb for a real story. Which is true if people like them keep producing garbage for young kids to watch. I grew up 13 years ago and we had so much good TV because you had to make good shows too get the most viewers. And the shows were so good, teenagers and adults would watch “Kids Channels”. What you put in is what you’ll get out, this is true for writing and producing a T.V show.