• The Georgetown varsity football team has a home game vs. Hays on Thursday, September 7 @ 7p.

• First Georgetown Varsity Football game this Friday September first in Waco against the Brewer Bears.

• Students pick up textbooks from the book-room before school and at lunches beginning August 23

• District names Southwest Foods Excellence as the district’s food services provider

• Teachers report back to work: Aug 10

• GHS Open House: Sept. 13

Great horror movies to watch on Halloween

Grant McGinnity

Feel too old to go trick or treating? Well, here are a couple good films to put you in the Halloween spirit.

imgres

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Sally, her brother, and some friends set out to investigate when they hear their fathers grave may have been vandalized. Soon the group discovers a some creepy outcasts and are hunted by the chainsaw wielding Leatherface who has a mask of human skin. If you love lots of grotesque violence then you might want to check out this film.

imgres

The Thing: A group of American scientists in Antarctica find and take in a dog, but soon realize this is no dog. It is some “thing” that has the ability to change into any human or dog at the base. The movie is very tense because you never know who the thing is, because it has the ability to perfectly act like whoever its pretending to be. It keeps you guessing and has some of the most violent scenes in cinema history.

imgres

The Exorcist:When a little girl named Reagan starts acting strange, her worried mother seeks help. She can’t find out whats wrong and a local priest tells her that Reagan my be possessed by the devil. The priest enlists Lankester Merrin to save her. Arguably the scariest movie of all time, lots of disturbing imagery and creepy effects prepare yourself.

images

Alien: When a crew of a spaceship hears a distress call on a nearby planet, they land and investigate. One member gets attacked on the planet, but is deemed safe and let aboard the ship. Eventually he discovers that the monster that attacked him impregnated him with an alien. Now the alien is running rampant across the spaceship killing the crew who have no idea how to defeat it.  Alien is a very slow movie that builds great tension and has effects and performances that still hold up to this day. A tamer horror movie for those who get grossed out by jump scares and gore.

noes2010

A Nightmare on Elm Street: Teenagers in their dreams are being killed by a being known as Freddy Krueger, but not only do they die in their dream they die in real world too. A teenage girl named Nancy and her boyfriend Glenn are investigating the phenomenon and discover it may deal with a secret their friends and family have been hiding from them. This movie has a cool race against the clock aspect because Nancy and Glenn don’t want to get killed by Freddy so they’re trying to find out how to stop him quickly to end the bloodshed.