• Schedule pickup Aug 14-15

• First day of classes: Aug 17

• District names Southwest Foods Excellence as the district’s food services provider

• Teachers report back to work: Aug 10

• GHS Open House: Sept. 13

• Senior Skip Day Monday, April 24

• Saturday 7:00 PM - 11:00 PM Prom

• Holiday - Good Friday 4/14/2017

The State of the White House

Since January 20th, 2017, Donald Trump has been signing executive orders in the last few months, catching up to former president Barack Obama’s 14 executive orders by his third week, having signed 12 executive orders so far.

First Day- Dismantled Obamacare (Affordable Care Act). As on the White House website- “Executive Order Minimizing the Economic Burden of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act Pending Repeal”. It states that the order will ‘take all actions consistent with law to minimize the unwarranted economic and regulatory burdens of the Act, and prepare to afford the States more flexibility and control to create a more free and open healthcare market’ and ‘delay the implementation of any provision or requirement of the Act that would impose a fiscal burden on any State or a cost, fee, tax, penalty, or regulatory burden on individuals, families, healthcare providers, health insurers, patients, recipients of healthcare services, purchasers of health insurance, or makers of medical devices, products, or medications’. 18 million people could lose their health insurance.

EXECUTIVE ORDER: PROTECTING THE NATION FROM FOREIGN TERRORIST ENTRY INTO THE UNITED STATES

‘Numerous foreign-born individuals have been convicted or implicated in terrorism-related crimes since September 11, 2001, including foreign nationals who entered the United States after receiving visitor, student, or employment visas, or who entered through the United States refugee resettlement program.’ ‘I hereby proclaim that the immigrant and nonimmigrant entry into the United States of aliens from countries referred to in section 217(a)(12) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1187(a)(12), would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, and I hereby suspend entry into the United States, as immigrants and nonimmigrants, of such persons for 90 days from the date of this order.’ : SYRIA, IRAQ, SOMALIA, IRAN, SUDAN, LIBYA & YEMEN are the countries on this list.

Executive Order: Border Security and Immigration Enforcement Improvements

‘Border security is critically important to the national security of the United States. Aliens who illegally enter the United States without inspection or admission present a significant threat to national security and public safety.’ ‘Secure the southern border of the United States through the immediate construction of a physical wall on the southern border, monitored and supported by adequate personnel so as to prevent illegal immigration, drug and human trafficking, and acts of terrorism; “Wall” shall mean a contiguous, physical wall or other similarly secure, contiguous, and impassable physical barrier.”

Rumored future changes- Social Issues

Transgender Equality: Trump has expressed support for North Carolina’s HB2 (which reversed a law that protected transgender people who use public restrooms based on their gender identity, and also nullified local ordinances around the state that would have expanded protections for the LGBT community) he’s said he would rescind the Obama Administration’s guidance that transgender students be treated with dignity and allowed to use restrooms that match their gender identity. “I Would Be Rescinding A Lot Of The Executive Orders [Obama’s] Done…The One Good About Executive Order, The New President, If He Comes In, Boom, First Day, First Hour, First Minute, You Can Rescind Them.”

Religion.

Trump Said His First Priority If Elected Would Be To “Preserve And Protect Our Religious Liberty….We’re Going To Protect The First Amendment.” “‘I will protect… because we’re not being protected,’ Trump said, referencing Christians and religious liberty. He said his first priority if elected President of the United States would be to ‘preserve and protect our religious liberty.’ ‘We’ll be fighting as part [of a] common core, and we’re going to protect totally the First Amendment,’ he vowed.” “That is why I will get rid of and totally destroy the Johnson Amendment,” a provision of the tax code that prohibits religious leaders and institutions endorsing or opposing political candidates, “and allow our representatives of faith to speak freely and without fear of retribution.” Repealing the Johnson Amendment would theoretically allow houses of worship and religious leaders to openly advocate for political candidates while retaining their tax-exempt status, while also allowing them to funnel religious donations into explicitly political efforts.