• Baylor Scott & White Physicals: May 20

• Senior Skip Day Monday, April 24

• Saturday 7:00 PM - 11:00 PM Prom

• Holiday - Good Friday 4/14/2017

• Library Nights tutorials Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:15pm-6:15pm

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Review

Grant McGinnity

The 15th movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and sequel to 2014’s surprise hit Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 continues the story of Star Lord, Drax, Gamora, Rocket, and Groot.

Plot: After saving the galaxy from the Kree, the guardians are now a team for hire. One mission involves them defending a precious resource for an alien race known as the Sovereign, but when Rocket steals it for himself and Star Lord is reunited with someone he thought he’d never see again, the Guardians embark on a new adventure that involves saving the galaxy again.

Character: This movie has quite an ensemble, including the five original members and some new members, such as Gamora’s sister Nebula, the ravager leader Yondu, and Mantis, a odd alien with unique powers. Because of this I’m going to briefly mention their roles.

Star Lord is the main character and Chris Pratt brings everything you loved about him in the first movie back in this sequel. He goes through a pretty big struggle in this film (No Spoilers) and Chris Pratt nailed the emotional scenes between him and other characters, especially Yondu.

Rocket steals most of the scenes he is in and is extremely funny. His lines are gold and always land.

Gamora is still the serious member of the team, she keeps them on task and you see her relationship with Nebula and Star Lord develop more.

Drax is now my least favorite Guardian. He develops a relationship with the new character Mantis, but all he does in this film is tell jokes and most of them don’t land as well as they did in the first film.

Yondu surprised me in this film having a very emotional story and some great fight scenes.

Nebula brings some cool exposition on the villain of the next Avengers, Thanos, but overall doesn’t provide anything to interesting to the film.

Mantis a new character hasn’t been developed enough for me to care about her, but does some important stuff and has good chemistry with Drax.

Baby Groot was really funny in this film, but he doesn’t bring the emotion of the original Groot. Luckily he isn’t overused, so the scenes with him are exciting and fresh.

Quality: Though not all the jokes land most do, and the writing overall for this film is very solid. This movie is definitely more character development based then story based, which I found refreshing because many Marvel movies such as Age of Ultron were 100% action with little emotion. This movie brought both epic original action scenes and believable emotion. Characters motivations were clear and made sense, and the story for the most part flowed. The movie has really unique sci-fi setting and because of this there is a lot of CGI effects, but they all look really good and pop off the screen. Even when there was a huge fight in space with loads of ships, I never felt overwhelmed. The fight scenes were clever and original and used these character powers and abilities in super fun and unique ways.

Overall: Guardians 2 is not as good as its predecessor just because the first one was such a unique surprise, but is a really fun time and perfect continuation answering many questions left by the first movie. It’s not to short not to long, and filled with twists, turns, and emotion. If you liked the first one you will love this sequel just as much.

8/10