• Baylor Scott & White Physicals: May 20

• Senior Skip Day Monday, April 24

• Saturday 7:00 PM - 11:00 PM Prom

• Holiday - Good Friday 4/14/2017

• Library Nights tutorials Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:15pm-6:15pm

The New “Star Wars Battlefront 2”

Grant McGinnity

Recently, the sequel to 2015’s Star Wars Battlefront was announced via trailer to be releasing November 17th. In previous articles I’ve praised the original series made by Pandemic in the mid 2000’s (See top 5 Star Wars Games), and criticized the other made by EA in 2015 for its expensive add-on’s, poor gameplay and lack of content. Though the 2015 game was overall viewed as okay or bad by fans, but it sold millions of copies, thus it earned a sequel. So, being a lifelong fan of Star Wars, and the Star Wars Battlefront game series, I’m going to give my opinion on the new game. Of course, its not out yet, but spoiler: I will be buying it and reviewing it later this year when it comes out.

First off, lets talk about the fact that all Eras (The Star Wars Universe has many different fazes in the timeline. Episodes 1-3 are the Clone Wars era. 4-6 are the Galactic Civil War era and 7-9 is the sequel era) it’s great that the Clone Wars are included because there hasn’t been a modern game depicting that era in over a decade and the original battlefronts featured it. The sequel era is also exciting because this is its first time being in a video game and I can’t wait to play as Rey and Kylo Ren and cut down enemy infantry. Of course the Galactic Civil War era is coming back, being the most iconic, and you can never really get bored of flying around as Boba Fett and gunning down rebels. The fact that there will be three eras also means this game is destined to have more content, thus fixing a major issue from the 2015 installment. So far, the confirmed maps are Naboo, the palace from episode 1, Kamino, the planet that births the clone army in episode 2, Mos Eisley, the smuggler town from episode 4, Hoth from Episode 5, Endor the forest moon from episode 6, Starkiller base, the huge First Order weapon, Takodana, the forest lake planet from episode 7, as well as different locations in space.

Another thing this game needs to do is change the gameplay. In the last Battlefront there was a poor attempt at class building with everybody using the most powerful guns and abilities, while sitting at power-up spawns. It made the game super boring and repetitive. The new game has announced the return of the class system, with 4 classes playable across all eras- Officer, Assault, Heavy, and Specialist. It’s unknown the abilities each class will have, but you will be able to customize each troopers’ weapons and most likely physical appearance as well. Hopefully there will be more than just 4 classes because there are many really cool characters from Star Wars that are only available in certain eras or factions. For example, in the original series there were 4 standard classes that every side, good and bad, and every era shared, but every faction also had special troopers exclusive to it. Like if you were the Droids you could be this special droid called a Destroyer that had unique abilities, such as the power to turn into a ball and put up a shield that only it could do. I’m excited that you will be able to build a unique loadout for all the classes, so there is more variety and strategy. EA Dice also said they are adding ground vehicles, a great feature of the originals that was not in the 2015 remake besides a speeder and a walker. It’s unknown which vehicles will be included, but I’m hoping for the tank they fought in Rouge One, and the droid AAT.  Also mentioned was that you will be able to customize your space ships and the ships have their own sort of classes like bomber, fighter, etc. Lastly, heroes will have abilities you can customize to better fit your play of them and skins you can unlock, so hopefully you can pick if you want Obi-Wan to look like either Alec Guinnse or Ewan McGregor. The one thing this games multiplayer NEEDS to be successful is conquest, the mode the original games were based on. It’s so much fun to run around as a storm trooper defending and gaining new bases,while your friends cover you in the air with a fleet of Tie fighters.

Lastly, the campaign announced another major feature missing from the original. This new campaign will share continuity with the recent Star Wars comics, books, tv shows,and movies. It follows Inferno Squadron, an elite imperial team that witnesses the death of the Emperor on Endor. After this, the main character and the rest of Inferno squad go out on a hopefully epic adventure to avenge the empire. This is a prequel novel being written to give back story to Inferno Squadron releasing this summer.  Since I’ve been reading all the new books and comic, I don’t want to miss anything in the new universe, so for this reason alone I’m getting this game.

Overall, I’m very surprised at the effort Dice and EA are putting into this new game. Are there things I would have done differently yes, but overall if there is a conquest mode in multiplayer and the campaign tells an interesting story that helps bridge the 30 year gap between episode 6 and 7, I will be more than pleased. There will be a chance to play the games multiplayer sometime this fall, which will be a good chance for everyone to truly see if this is the Battlefront game we deserved, unlike the last one.