• Baylor Scott & White Physicals: May 20

• Senior Skip Day Monday, April 24

• Saturday 7:00 PM - 11:00 PM Prom

• Holiday - Good Friday 4/14/2017

• Library Nights tutorials Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:15pm-6:15pm

The problem with Video Games

Grant McGinnity

Like many of the students here at Georgetown High, I play video games sometimes. They are a good way to get away from the stress and problems of real life, but for the last 4 years or so video games have changed. It feels like instead of being made to give people something to escape to, they are just made solely to make money.

My first problem with video games now is the fact that there are basically only two genres- now racing and first person shooter. Two choices- drive a car or shoot something. Sure there are minor differences between each game in the genre, like Battlefield lets you drive tanks while Call of Duty lets you customize your guns. A few years ago, we got Portal, a unique puzzle solving game, and Minecraft, a game like no other where you can build anything you want. Companies are afraid to take risks now and just release sequel after sequel for their one successful franchise and find a way to trick the consumer into buying the new one every year. For example, Call of Duty’s newest game, Infinite Warfare, became one of the most disliked YouTube videos of all time, but still sold millions due to the fact that they included a remaster of one of the franchises most popular game, Call of Duty 4, that you could only get by buying Infinite Warfare.

Next, video games don’t allow you to play with your friends anymore. Split screen was a feature in pretty much every game 10 years ago, and was a staple of consoles. PC games were all 1 player because computers only have one keyboard and smaller screen, but console had controller ports and allowed you and your friends to play together. This was a huge draw for PC player to get a console so when they had friends over they could all play, but now consoles have removed this feature from all games and now the only way to play with friends is through online. Online sucks because if you have bad Wi-fi it’s slow and your disadvantaged. You can only see your screen, not your friends, so it’s a pain to coordinate because you have to describe where you are all the time so you can meet up. There are only 2 four-player games, on the newest Xbox Halo Master Chief collection and Minecraft, while my old Xbox from 2001 has tons such as Halo 1 and 2, Star Wars Battlefront, Call of Duty Finest Hour, Star Wars Republic Commando, and Timesplitters. Now online isn’t a bad thing, but you should have the option to play with your friends on one system. And the only reason developers are removing split screen is because the console manufactures want people to play for their online service.

https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/responsive/embedded/any/desktop/2015/11/20/635836326841906802-1895296040_original.jpg

And the removal of split screen wasn’t even the worse thing about online. Downloadable content (or DLC) is this new thing introduced on the Original Xbox, where games can have extra maps or content that you can download off the internet. Luckily, much of it was free back then because most people didn’t have online or didn’t know how to hook their credit card to the Xbox. Nowadays every game has extra content, most of it costing the price of the game. This is really annoying because you pay 60 dollars for a game and don’t even get all the content. An infamous example of this was Battlefront EA. The game only had 4 maps at launch with very few modes, which was pathetic compared to Battlefront 2 from 2005 which had 32! But that’s not all: if you wanted more maps for Battlefront, you had to pay another 60 dollars. 120 bucks total, and even after the DLC, it only had 9 maps, so you pay an extra 60 dollars for only 5 more maps. And the sad thing is nearly every game has DLC, but few have gone as far as Battlefront EA has.

Now there is this new type of DLC that is so evil it gets its own paragraph. Say you’re playing Candy Crush on your iPad, and and it wants you spend a dollar on some little item to make the game easier. Well, now huge 60 dollar games are getting in on this. Call of Duty introduced this thing known as ‘the black market’, which uses these things called CoD Points. You spend real money to get these CoD Points and spend them in the black market hoping to get something good, but it;s completely random and it’s a 1/100 chance of getting a rare item. So you may spend money and get nothing good, and there is no way to refund. Or you may get replicates of stuff you already have. This sucks because now you can’t get half the stuff in the game unless you want to pay a ridiculous amount of money on it- oh, and also Call of Duty has another extra 50 dollar expansion you pretty much have to buy. And again Call of Duty isn’t the only one who does this crap; tons of games have stupid markets where they try to steal a couple bucks from you to get a minor item to make the game “Easier”.

So in conclusion, games are all pretty much the same thing now. They don’t allow you to play with friends. They are super expensive due to extra content that really isn’t worth it. I think game developers need to bring back split screen, for it broadens a consoles appeal. Also though sometimes game developers are forced to make a unnecessary sequel, they should add something new that doesn’t cost extra to make it fresh. And lastly they need to make sure the game on the disk works before adding tons of extra content that costs more money.

1 Comment

One Response to “The problem with Video Games”

1. Caleb on February 13th, 2017 11:37 am

Not all games are the way this article portrays them Overwatch for example has no DLC content and the only stuff you pay extra money for you can get in game by leveling up instead, and all you get from it are cosmetic items that don’t help you play at all, next time put at least a little more research into your article instead of spewing incorrect information.

*

• The problem with Video Games

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Review

• The problem with Video Games

The First 100 days of President Donald Trump

• The problem with Video Games

The New “Star Wars Battlefront 2”

• The problem with Video Games

Top 4 Worst Superhero Movies of All Time

• The problem with Video Games

Kong Skull Island Review

• The problem with Video Games

Marvel’s Iron Fist Review

• The problem with Video Games

Logan- Movie Review

• The problem with Video Games

The Lego Batman Movie-Review

• The problem with Video Games

What’s wrong with modern day “kids show”

• The problem with Video Games

Clubs/Organizations

Into the Woods 2017

The problem with Video Games