• Schedule pickup Aug 14-15

• First day of classes: Aug 17

• District names Southwest Foods Excellence as the district’s food services provider

• Teachers report back to work: Aug 10

• GHS Open House: Sept. 13

• Senior Skip Day Monday, April 24

• Saturday 7:00 PM - 11:00 PM Prom

• Holiday - Good Friday 4/14/2017

40 Best Apps for iOS

Caitlin LaCour

Click each title to see the game in the app store

Venture Kid

Image result for venture kid screenshotOn a distant island far away, two friends are collecting gems when they are attacked by an evil space scientist. It’s up to you, the Venture Kid, to put a stop to his evil experiments.

Reminiscent of classic retro games such as Mega Man, Venture Kid is a painfully difficult platformer. You control a boy out to stop the scientist as you navigate 7 levels of increasing difficulty, ranging from a city, a desert, and a volcano, using a variety of weapons like a firecracker, boomerang, and pellet gun while fighting enemies such as aliens, robots, and scorpions. There are also boss fights at the end of each level, where you unlock a new weapon after defeating bosses such as the Grim Reaper and a mech.

80 Days
80-daysThe plot is loosely based on Jules Verne’s novel Around the World in Eighty Days. In this game, you play as a personal servant named Passepartout, who’s master Phileas Fogg has made a bet that he can travel the entire globe and back to London in 80 days.

This game is text based choose-your-own adventure type, but it also has very nice stylized visuals for each city you visit. While you travel, you’ll want to keep your funds up by bartering in each location’s market, talk around to find new quick travel routes, and attend to your mysterious master Fogg. You can visit cities across the globe, some you’ve heard of such as Paris, Moscow, even Dallas, and some you haven’t like Yokohama, Batavia, and Nassau across all continents. Each location as a unique story and people to talk to.

Reigns

Image result for reigns app screenshotReigns is a very simplistic text-based adventure set in a kingdom where you are the king. You can choose how you rule, be fair or malevolent, favor the army or the church, the rich or the peasants by the decisions you make, which are presented to you in the form of playing cards. Your ultimate goal is up to you, however, you’ll want to make a king that rules for a long time, since in this game your king can get assassinated, usurped, or die of sickness depending on your choices. After your king dies, a new one rises, and you start again down the timeline of reigns.

Choices

Image result for choices' app screenshotThis is another text based game where you make choices that change how the story unfolds. ‘Choices’ has three stories- a murder mystery, a fantasy, and a college romance. This is a fun game to play for a few minutes before the game puts up a paywall. You can only play two chapters, then have to wait 2 hours for recharge or pay money to unlock the next chapter. However, this game, especially the fantasy story ‘The Crown and the Flame’, are very well-written and fun to play. The ‘choices’ you make can actually impact the story dramatically.

I would recommend this game to people who don’t mind a little easy reading and enjoy a quick, fun story. There is a lot of replay-ability, too, since you can restart each story at any time and make different decisions to see what changes in the story. Choices is free on the iOS store, but there are in-app purchases for gems and such.

Leap Day

bc654c47bfbe4aca6e94a479ae341b7bThis game is a constantly moving and changing endless runner, where instead of horizontal you go vertical.

You control a little character, leaping over obstacles and enemies on a vertical structure to reach the top. It is not easy, but with practice you can quickly master the rhythm and jumping skills. You will die in this game, a lot, and restart from checkpoints. But once you reach the top, you get a great feeling of accomplishment for mastering the difficult level. The cool thing about Leap Day is that the level changes every day, so you have a fresh challenge to conquer each morning.

Leap Day is a free app on the iOS, and it’s a great casual game for those looking for a simple challenge and endless amounts of replay-ability due to it’s ever changing level.

Hero Emblems

download-2This game is a casual classic gem-slider puzzle matching game. You match gems into a row, but each gem is a different power or ability. You play as four characters on a quest across a ton of levels to save their kingdom. The gem matching is the main draw to the game, and the powers and ability aspect to the matching is very unique. In each level you fight against enemies by matching. There are four types of gems, or ’emblems’- sword, shield, magic, and heart. They each have their own abilities so you have to strategize to use them the most effectively.

There is a story for this game, but it is pretty silly so I recommend just getting the game for the gameplay. There is very little replay-ability, unless you want to collect every treasure/weapon you miss. You can buy Hero Emblems for $3.99 on the iOS store.

You Must Build a Boat

appmonday-you-must-build-a-boat-review-03-450x402This is another puzzle match game similar to Hero Emblems where you match tiles to perform special moves. Unlike traditional puzzle games, you slide each row of tiles to match rather than swiping an existing row. It’s tricky to pick up, but with enough practice running through levels you’ll master the unique matching system.

The title of this game is exactly what it’s about. You must build a boat and upgrade it by going through a bunch of levels and completing tasks by matching tiles. There are five tiles- key, which unlocks chests, sword and torch, both which attacks enemies, and mind and muscle, which you use to upgrade your character. Each obstacle, such as chests and enemies, are timed, so you must match the appropriate tiles as quickly as you can. Chances are you’ll be running the level over and over again, trying to perfect your matches.

You Must Build a Boat is a great casual game that you can pick up and play at any time for any amount of time, from a couple of minutes to an hour. It’s incredibly addicting, and has good replayability. This game is $2.99 on the iOS store.

Futurama Game of Drones

maxresdefaultAnother matching puzzle game, this one set in the world of Futurama.

Fans of both puzzle games and the show will no doubt enjoy this game. The puzzles are easy at first but quickly grow more complex and difficult the further you progress. Fans of Futurama TV show will like the levels, which take place in settings from the show like New New York sewers, Mars, and the Moon. This game also features the shows’ popular characters such as Fry, Leela, and Bender.

In regards to being a ‘game’ it really isn’t anything too special. It’s a simple swipe-to-match game. What sets is apart is really the dialouge between the characters and the 3D enviornments from the show. The levels later on get incredibly difficult in such a way that the game almost forces you to pay money in order to pass them. But it’s still a fun game to check out, especially for fans of Futurama. Game of Drones is free on the iOS store.

Super Phantom Cat

unnamedSuper Phantom Cat is a retro-style platformer. In this game you go through colorful levels collecting data to unlock new characters to play as. The retro-inspired music and art style for this game give it a uniquity from other platformers. The controls are easy to learn and smooth. Each level has a bunch of secrets to discover and powerups. This is a fun game to play for a while, but not super addicting or engaging for longer than ten minutes.

Super Phantom Cat is $1.99 on the iOS store.

Beneath a Steel Sky

screen520x924When orphaned Robert Foster is seized at gunpoint from the peaceful village he calls home and flown a thousand miles to a city he’s never seen, he can only ask himself:  why me? Escaping from his abductors into the dark metropolis, he vows to avenge the murder of the only family he’s ever known.

Play 10+ hours of intense narrative puzzle-solving, meeting an array of dazzling characters, to ultimately uncover a terrible truth.

Creatures Such as We

download-3“Creatures Such As We” is a philosophical interactive romance novel by Lynnea Glasser, where your choices control the story. It’s entirely text-based—without graphics or sound effects—and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

Living on the moon is lonely, and stressful, and exhausting. Video games have always offered you an escape to a better life. The easy, happy life you wish you had. Which makes it so frustrating when the game you’ve been playing ends badly. But you have a chance to figure it out, because the next tourist group is the designers. You can debate with them about art, inspire them with the beauty of outer space, get closer to any one specific designer in particular, and finally find out how to get the ending you always wanted.

Facility 47

unnamedYou wake up alone and freezing in an icy cell. You try the cell door but it’s locked, it seems that you are stuck with no apparent escape. All that surrounds you is a letter and a bottle of pills, and no sign of how long you have been here or why!

Escape from this room and you will begin a journey through an isolated research facility in the freezing depths of the Antarctic, solving exciting puzzles as you go and unlocking new locations around the Facility. As you explore, you can search for clues that will help you uncover and piece together the mysterious history of Facility 47 and how exactly you came to be there!

Her Story

download-4Her Story sits you in front of a mothballed desktop computer and logs you into a police database. Search through hundreds of video clips that cover seven interviews from 1994 in which a British woman is interviewed about her missing husband. Explore the database by typing search terms, watch the clips where she speaks those words and piece together her story.

King of Dragon Pass

download-5Create your own epic saga of conflict, mythology, and community! This acclaimed game of magical storytelling blends interactive stories and resource management. It’s set in Glorantha (the world of the games HeroQuest, RuneQuest, and soon 13th Age).

It’s immensely replayable, thanks to over 575 interactive scenes and two objectives. Short episodes and automatic saving mean you can play even when you only have a minute or two. The built-in saga writes down the story for you. And advisors with distinctive personalities help you track your cows.

Attack the Light
download-6Team up as Garnet, Pearl, Amethyst, and Steven to stop a powerful Gem weapon in Attack the Light!
Fire off Garnet’s Rocket Gauntlets, summon Holo-Pearl, and put the hurt on your enemies with Purple Puma. All four Gems have unique attacks and upgrades.
Explore caves, fight bad guys, collect super secret treasure, and level up! Load up Steven’s backpack with all kinds of magical items to help you on your quest.
Intuitive tap and swipe controls make it easy to dish out devastating damage. Every new power has a new mechanic to master.
Attack the Light has an all-new storyline from “Steven Universe” creator Rebecca Sugar. Plus, the game features original voiceover from Steven Universe cast members!

Rust Bucket

download-7Rust Bucket is a turn based dungeon crawler that is built with mobile in mind. Swipe to take a step, swipe into enemies to attack. It’s as simple as that, but don’t be fooled into thinking this is a casual game!  Navigate using simple swipe to move controls. Game play is fast and death is never far away so it’s perfect for your daily commute. Puzzle your way past deadly traps or use them to catch enemies. Many monster types, each with their own distinctive rules to overcome. Explore an endless dungeon, with more to discover the deeper you go. Become a master of strategic combat and reach the top scoring dungeon rooms.

Broken Age

download-8Broken Age is a family friendly, hand-animated, puzzle-filled adventure game with an all-star cast, including Elijah Wood, Jack Black and Masasa Moyo. Vella Tartine and Shay Volta are two teenagers in strangely similar situations, but radically different worlds. The player can freely switch between their stories, helping them take control of their own lives, and dealing with the unexpected adventures that follow.

Lastronaut

download-9It’s time to leave the world you love behind.

The year is 2015 and mankind has created the first sentient machine: a humanoid robot. If we only knew what would happen next, we probably could have saved ourselves. Now, we’re abandoning the only planet we’ve ever known.

Lastronaut is a pixel-packed, adrenaline-fueled dash for your life as you run, jump, dodge and blast your way through the machine army, equipped with an arsenal of human and robotic weapons to cause mayhem with. At dawn, as the rest of humanity lifts off in the distance, it’s your mission to reach the last rocket ship leaving Earth. Your life depends on it.

Sniper X with Jason Statham

download-10As the one and only Sniper X, you’ll team up with action star Jason Statham to become the free world’s ultimate weapon against the forces of chaos and terror! As part of the Statham’s elite paramilitary team SPEAR, you’ll work side by side to dismantle terrorists and rogue states that conventional forces can’t touch. As Sniper X, you’ll take on hundreds of military missions in incredible 3D environments. Innovative upgrades make your sniper rifle into a truly customized killing machine. Eliminate enemy soldiers, officers, vehicles, and even drones in thrilling first-person action. Zoom in and slow down time with Focus, built in to every sniper rifle. See your kills confirmed with a dramatic kill-cam. The Perfect Shot system rewards careful aim with bonus cash and more! Star in your own action movie, with Jason Statham calling every kill and conquest.

Godus

download-11Rule over a living, breathing world. It is as simple to play with as it is awe-inspiring to behold. Feel truly powerful in the most delightful, charming and tactile world you have ever held in your hands.
Use your touch to physically shape, mold and sculpt every inch of the landscape, making it unique to you. Be loved and worshipped by tiny, devoted Followers. Watch them live, learn, and grow in a fully simulated world. Nurture the growth of a civilization as it rises from the dawn of the primitive age and advances throughout the ages of humanity. Cast miracles of both beauty and destruction: sculpt rivers and grow forests, or throw meteors and spread fires. Uncover a wealth of mysteries and surprises waiting to be found above and below the landscape. Guide your Followers as they embark on regular voyages to new and uncharted lands that hold great rewards. There has never been an experience quite like this before, and it will continue to evolve as you do. Come and lead an incredible journey that’s waiting for you to make it your own.

Gemini Rue
download-13A sci-fi noir adventure in the tradition of “Blade Runner” and “Beneath a Steel Sky.”

Azriel Odin, ex-assassin, arrives on the rain-drenched planet of Barracus. When things go horribly wrong, he can only seek help from the very criminals he used to work for.

Meanwhile, across the galaxy, a man called Delta-Six wakes up in a hospital with no memory. Without knowing where to turn or who to trust, he vows to escape before he loses his identity completely.

As fate brings these two closer together, we discover a world where life is cheap, identities are bought and sold, and a quest for redemption can change the fate of a whole galaxy.

Lost Echo

download-14In the near future Greg’s girlfriend Chloe mysteriously disappears in front of him. He starts a desperate search for her. What happened? Why does no-one else remember her?
Solve puzzles, explore fully 3d environments, interact with numerous characters and solve the mystery!
Lost Echo is a modern, story driven, visually ambitious, intuitive, sci-fi mystery adventure game.

* Detailed and realistic graphics, rarely found on mobile devices. And they work on devices as old as a 3GS!
* A soundtrack written specifically for the game. Drawing from multiple genres so it creates the proper atmosphere for each area.
* An engrossing mystery with a satisfying conclusion. Meet and interact with numerous characters, find clues and slowly reveal the truth. But is the truth really enough?

Sonic Dash 2- Sonic Boom

imagesNew and amazing 3D worlds, challenges and game play. Play as Sonic the Hedgehog, Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Sticks and Shadow. Let’s do this!
Race with up to three characters in new Team Play mode! Swap runners mid-race to earn high scores
Unleash new special powers – Sonic’s Dash Ring Magnet, Knuckle’s Slam, Amy’s Ring Hammer, and more. Conquer new obstacles and Badniks. Dash on new fast-paced tracks in and above the beautiful Sonic Boom world. Master new Swing & Tilt gameplay with the super charged Enerbeam; tilt your device to swing the runner towards the rings and orbs. Collect, evolve, and run with new magical Sprites. Level up by earning XP to max out your score and unlock new challenges.

Rebuild 3

download-15It’s been a few years since the zombpocalypse turned the world’s cities into graveyards and sent the few survivors into hiding. Now you must gather them up and restore civilization to a ruined city, one building at a time.

Rebuild 3 is a strategy sim game with a good helping of narrative and dark humor. It’s a thoughtful game that’ll make you fond of your survivors before you send them to their deaths for the greater good. As you expand your fort to new buildings, you’ll decide between farms or fortifications, housing or hospitals, and make tough decisions to fend off raiders, illness, starvation, and madness. And the dead are still out there wandering the streets, hungrier than ever.

Animation Throwdown

download-16Featuring hundreds of your favorite characters and moments from your favorite episodes. Collect character cards, optimize your deck, and create new combos as you fight in an epic card battle bacchanal.

*Collectible card battle game.
*Five of your favorite cartoons together for the first time ever!
*Hundreds of cards and combos featuring characters from each show.
*25 Chapters featuring moments and locations from your favorite episodes.
*Endless hours of play, provided you never stop playing.
*Challenge other players from all over the globe in the multiplayer Arena.
*Collect, upgrade, and fuse your cards to victory.

League of Evil series
imagesThe world needs your help! Evil scientists worldwide have joined forces forming a “League of Evil”; the only super agent who can stop them is YOU!

As a specially trained agent you can double jump, flipping your way over obstacles. You are also trained in wall jumping gaps to reach new heights. So get ready to show your sick acrobatic moves across 160 challenging levels! Fight your way through your mission and find the mad scientist to deliver a well earned pixel punch in the face!

The world is counting on you. Now go save everyone!

Wayward Souls

downloadWayward Souls is an action-adventure game built for quick playthroughs and massive amounts of replay value.

Procedurally generated random levels mean that every time you play the game, it’s a different experience. Control one of six characters, all with their own unique playstyles, abilities, and equipment. Explore and fight for survival, in combat where your tactics, positioning, and timing matter.

More Features:
– Fancy control scheme with no virtual buttons or sticks to fumble over.
– Unlock new areas, for increasingly punishing difficulty.
– 13 area types, all with different monsters, potential traps, and rare encounters.
– Each character can find equipment combinations that change their gameplay.
– Victory is based on your increasing skill as a player, not solely on grinding.

The Silent Age

download-1The Silent Age takes you on an adventurous journey into a dystopian future where mankind has gone extinct!

Travel through time between the iconic 70’s and a desolate present day haunted by silence.

The Silent Age is an atmospheric point-and-click adventure game with stylized visuals and an eerie soundtrack that will keep you in suspense as you solve mind-bending puzzles.

The Path to Luma

unnamedSAM, our galaxy-traversing Sustainability Augmentation Model, needs your help on a mission to save the galaxy and the Chroma civilization! Explore and manipulate wondrous worlds to unlock the life-giving sources of clean energy hidden within each planet.

Powered by NRG, The Path to Luma(TM) is a free adventure puzzle game with no ads or in-app purchases. Play as SAM, an android sent by the Chroma civilization to save the abandoned planets of their galaxy, and fulfill a quest to harness the power of clean energy. Explore 20 stunning worlds and solve mind-bending puzzles in a uniquely immersive gaming experience.

Lifeline
61kbs9xgg8lLifeline is a playable, branching story of survival against all odds. Using your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch, you will help Taylor make life or death decisions, and face the consequences together.

Acclaimed writer Dave Justus (Fables: The Wolf Among Us) weaves a gripping interactive story through the aftermath of a crash landing on an alien moon. Taylor is stranded, the rest of the crew are dead or missing, and Taylor’s communicator can only reach you.

A totally unique experience enabled by modern devices, this story plays out in real time. As Taylor works to stay alive, notifications deliver new messages throughout your day. Keep up as they come in, or catch up later when you’re free. You can even respond to Taylor directly from your Apple Watch or your iPhone lock screen, without launching into the app.
Or, dive in and jump back to earlier points in the story, and see what happens when you make a different choice. Simple actions can have a profound effect. Complete any single path to restart the story and unlock this mode.
Lifeline is a deep, immersive story of survival and perseverance, with many possible outcomes. Taylor is relying on YOU.

SAS Zombie Assault 4

download-2A virus outbreak on a distant trans-federation planet unleashes horrors from humanity’s past. A powerful, rapidly growing zombie horde threatens the very existence of humankind, and the only ones capable of fighting back are the highly skilled, highly weaponized special forces of the S A S. Choose from 3 unique character classes, maximize the fully customizable skill tree, and select from hundreds of weapons and armor pieces to build the ultimate zombie killing hero. Play dynamic, challenging levels in single player or 4 player cooperative multiplayer and give our ravaged civilization its last best hope for survival.

Slide the Block

download-3When fate set apart the loving souls, you do everything to make them one.
The Blocks need you! Help them meet their halves in this cute slider puzzle. The goal is simple, but the journey is full of challenge. Hundreds of level available, it’s a great way to kill time and improve your cognitive thinking. Just remember, every move counts! Make your best to beat the high score

A Dark Room
download-1awake. head throbbing. vision blurry. come light the fire.

Whale Trail

download-4Fly as Willow the Whale, collect Blubbles, loop the loop, unlock playable friends, upgrade Willow’s skills, smash enemies and meet bonkers characters along the way.

Simple and intuitive one touch gameplay
• 2 game modes, Classic and Challenge
• Earn Krill and use it in Willow’s store
• Upgrade Willow’s skills
• Unlock playable friends
• Use ‘Treats’ while flying for instant bonuses!
• 96 Challenge levels, can you 3 STAR them all?

Bag It!

download-5Heavy, sturdy items on the bottom, light and fragile items on the top – seems simple, right? Think again! Bag It! will open your eyes to a whole new world inside your shopping bag!

HOURS OF FUN & ADDICTIVE GAMEPLAY
• 100 unique levels! Try to get 3 stars and both medals for each – master them all!
• Standard, Rampage, and Puzzle modes!
• Seedy’s Booty – an all new matching challenge mode! Collect coins, buy power-ups, and see if you can best your Facebook friends!
• 3 endless modes – Ultimate Bagger, Endless Rampage, and Power Surge!
• 30+ GameCenter Achievements and Leaderboards!

Angry Birds

download-6Use the unique powers of the Angry Birds to destroy the greedy pigs’ defenses!

The survival of the Angry Birds is at stake. Dish out revenge on the greedy pigs who stole their eggs. Use the unique powers of each bird to destroy the pigs’ defenses. Angry Birds features challenging physics-based gameplay and hours of replay value. Each level requires logic, skill and force to solve.

Robot Unicorn Attack 2

download-7Choose between Team Rainbow or Team Inferno and compete on a unique level every day for prizes
– Race through 2 worlds at war, one of Rainbows and Harmony and one of Ice and Wonder
– Build and customize your very own unicorn, selecting from different bodies, manes, wings, horns, trails and more
– Unlock and arm yourself with 12 different boost abilities, including “Rainbow Savior” and “Gallow’s Gallop”
– Achieve both personal and community goals, updated daily
– Battle mighty giants and dash through their dangerous Solar Beams
– Journey through such cosmic spectacles as Space Whales, Leviathan Seahorses, Ice Owls and more
– Both worlds change to new and different layouts every single day
– Personalize your quest (and support the artists) by purchasing new background songs for $.99 apiece, including Erasure’s “Always”
– Game Center Achievements & Leaderboards
– Oh, also? You can fly now. Yeah. Yeah, man.

Fruit Ninja
images-2Slice fruit, don’t slice bombs – that is all you need to know to get started with the addictive Fruit Ninja action!

From there, explore the nuances of Classic, Zen and the fan favorite Arcade mode to expand your skills. Slice for a high score, use powerups and special bananas to maximum effect, and go crazy on the multi-slice Pomegranate.

All Blades and Dojos now have a unique effect on gameplay. Want a ten-fruit Great Wave? Bouncing clouds to never drop a fruit? Swirling tornados for epic combos? Mix and match your gear, experiment with all the powers and find what works for you!

There has never been a better time to play Fruit Ninja, so unsheath your sword and see what’s new in the game that started it all.